It has been way too long since I posted about a meal I made. I am sorry. And please don’t worry, I haven’t stopped cooking. 🙂
I have to confess, there were some meals growing up that I really did not care for. For example, meatloaf. I didn’t get it. Why couldn’t it just be a hamburger on a bun? Why did it have to have all the stuff in it and baked in the oven? And why, oh, why did my dad make it all the time?!
It wasn’t until a couple of years ago that I understood my father’s love for meatloaf. It all started when my brother sent me a picture of the meatloaf he made (we are nerds, I know). After telling me how easy and delicious it was, I decided to give it one final chance. And I am so happy I did.
While on the phone with my mom last week, I was pondering what to make for dinner. I really didn’t want to go to the grocery store, but instead wanted to find something delicious to make with what we had. After listing off all of the things I had in my kitchen, she suggested one of her favorite meals, meatloaves inside bell peppers. YUM!
Bright, green, luscious bell peppers
When it comes to cheese, our house is divided. Jake’s go-to cheese is pepper jack. I prefer medium sharp cheddar cheese.
Green Bell Pepper Mini Meatloaves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- two green bell peppers, pitted and halved
- one pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 medium size carrot chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 gloves of garlic
- shredded cheese of your choice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- tabasco sauce
- Halve each bell pepper and clean out the stem and seeds. Place bell peppers in boiling water and cook for 3 minutes.
- While peppers are boiling, combine ground beef, carrots, onions, garlic, bread crumbs, worcestershire sauce, ketchup and egg with your hands. (Messy, but so worth getting the ingredients mixed well).
- Take peppers out of water and let cool. Once cool, stuff with meat mixture. Shred cheese on each stuffed bell pepper.
- Line a baking dish with foil and place stuffed peppers in dish. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, spread glaze on meatloaf and place meatloaf back in oven for another 30-40 minutes.
- Meatloaf is done when the internal tempuarture reaches 16o degrees.
These mini-meatloaves are to die for. The bell peppers are soft and add a delicate flavor to the flavorful meatloaf.
What foods did you detest growing up, but have now fell in love with as you have gotten older?